August 6, 2015
When I was 19-years old, I met a boy. I was wrapping up my sophomore year at UC Berkeley (so was he) and though we never had a single class together, we attended the same church. I will never forget the first time I saw him (from a distance, and I swear it was in slow-mo like in the movies) and gushed to my girlfriends that he was absolutely dreamy. We moved from admirers to friends, until one day Erik skated up to me on Sproul Plaza (yeah, he literally rolled up to me on his skateboard) and asked me to join him at a concert the following week. I said yes, he skated away, and the rest is history. If you’re wondering about the concert: we saw The Juliana Theory & the Ataris at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Major points if you know either of those bands.
From then on, we were nearly inseperable. We dated for the rest of our undergrad years, getting engaged during Christmas break our senior year. I’ll share the amazing proposal story one of these days… We got married just months after graduation, surprising most of our friends and family. Why would we want to get married so soon, so young??
Oh how thankful I am to have spent such sweet, formative years with my one and only. How grateful I am that we knew back then that this was IT — that love is a covenant and you choose to love every day. Love is what you do. We set our love upon one another, and that love has only deepened, matured and strengthened over the years.
Today we celebrate ten beautiful years of marriage (and over 12 years together). I am in disbelief that the time has passed so quickly, and yet I can think back and see how full these ten years have been. We have walked through so much together. We’ve been blessed to travel to six countries together, along with many US destinations. We both abandoned our “stable futures” and everything we had studied in college to pursue what we felt was truly our calling. We’ve lived in four homes together. We clung to each other in years of infertility and recurrent miscarriage. We welcomed our miracle daughter in 2012. We bought our first home together in 2013. We took the leap of faith into the world of adoption in 2014 and embarked on a roller coaster ride through the domestic adoption process. We welcomed our miracle son in 2015, via adoption. We’ve laughed to the point of tears, we’ve cried in valleys of sorrow, we’ve fought and we’ve forgiven. We have both GROWN, by the grace of God, and so has our love. TEN years always seemed like the first “big” anniversary to me. An entire decade. Now that we have made it, I wonder if the next ten will fly by even faster?
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am currently out of town celebrating with a mini-getaway. I’m sure I’ll share more about that on the blog eventually. Today I just wanted to share my top ten things I love about my college (and forever) sweetheart, Erik.
favorite pic of us on our wedding day — so much joy!
singing “be thou my vision” with our guests // it’s one of my favorite pics of the day
and was snapped by a friend in one of the front rows!
- His unwavering faith and devotion to the Lord — he exemplifies what it means to practice what you preach
- His ability to be silly & playful — we have so much fun together, and I can be my goofy self around him without any hesitation
- His sharp wit and humor — he makes me laugh every single day
- His brilliant mind — Erik has always challenged me and conversations with him elevate my own way of thinking. God has given him such an ability to study, understand, retain and teach.
- His patience — he has so much grace for me and others
- His beautiful amber hazel eyes — they are the color of golden honey and they are captivating!
- His tenderness in parenting — Erik is the best father to Olive and Noah and there is nothing more attractive to me than seeing how he cares for our little ones.
- His uncanny ability to dominate at everything he does, whether it’s a long-time hobby or a brand new endeavor. Erik is just good at everything, and it is kinda crazy.
- His romantic heart — Erik has always written me the most beautiful, sincere love letters and never misses an opportunity to wow me on anniversaries and special occasions.
- Your loyalty and devotion to me — I feel so secure in your love and you love me so well.
to my Erik — you are my greatest blessing on this earth. I can’t adequately express how thankful I am for you, every single day. 10 years ago, I married the very best man I knew. You still embody to me everything that a great man is: devoted to the Lord, full of integrity and honor, respectful, well-spoken and kind, tender-hearted, wildly intelligent yet strikingly humble, utterly hilarious! and personable, and let’s face it… you’re pretty easy on the eyes, too. 😉
I know I am better for knowing you, and for having the honor of living as your companion. you teach me so much just by the way you live. You are a constant source of encouragement and edification to me, and there is such comfort that comes from the support you give. I know how special our relationship is. I truly believe it to be an (unfortunate) rarity: two people committed to love each other, and also wildly in love with each other. I treasure what we share, and I am proud to be your wife.
It is a joy to love you… for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death separates us.
happy anniversary baby <3 I love you.
spring 2008 — the image is found
december 2008 – amelia lyon
fall 2009 – jessica claire
january 2012 – jose villa
july 2014 – ryan ray
june 2015 – the image is found
I hope you’re all having a great day; see you soon!