Farewell 2013, and Bienvenue, 2014! I could not be more excited and more ready to welcome the new year. I know it’s technically just another day, and in this case, a random Wednesday. I know a fresh start can be made anytime. But still… there is something about January 1st on the calendar, and a fresh new planner (I am loving my new Emily Ley Simplified Planner!) to fill, and a handwritten personal and professional vision for the 12 months ahead. I’m a natural dreamer, list-writer and goal-setter, so this comes naturally to me. I have enjoyed reflecting on the past year over the last few days, as well as looking with eagerness toward the possibilities before me.
photo by Cameron Ingalls
2013 was a tremendous year. We had beautiful new adventures and experiences, joyful milestones, and painful trials as well. It was a year of BIG — big weddings, big trips, big purchases, big celebrations and even a few big heartaches. I know I didn’t share much about the painful stuff on the blog this year but let it suffice to say that at the end of it all, God is good (so good) and His plan is perfect.
Olive and her buddy, Blake (daughter of Melody / Sweet and Saucy Shop)
I feel overwhelmingly grateful for the year we have had. I know that today I am stronger than I was 365 days ago. I know greater heights of joy as well as depths of sorrow, but both have taught me priceless lessons. I have learned a lot about myself — as an individual, a daughter of Christ, a wife, a mother, a daughter/sister/friend/etc. I see new areas for growth as well as some surprising newly-uncovered strengths.
photo by the Cana Family
A few highlights from 2013…
- Erik turned 30 and we went to the mountains to celebrate! 😉 Snowboarding & a cozy cabin = his ideal birthday.
- We celebrated Olive’s 1st birthday in style with some of our favorite people in the world. What a wonderful day!
- We were published in Martha Stewart Weddings Magazine. Major.
- I did a lot of knitting and loved every second of it.
- We took an unforgettable trip to Sydney, Australia and New Zealand. Looking forward to returning soon!! (And yes, I will eventually finish blogging about the trip! Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3)
- We bought a house!! Praise the Lord! I am thankful everyday for this blessing.
- My sweet sister ‘retired’ from the wedding industry and I brought on Kourtney, the newest face around here and a precious new friend <3
- I worked with some amazing clients on absolutely beautiful weddings and events. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so much love and creativity on a regular basis!
favorites from @loveandsplendor on Instagram
I am looking forward to 2014 because I know a lot more growing is in store. Each day my ultimate goal is to spend every minute, in every endeavor, doing things to honor, magnify and bring glory to my God. Whether I’m caring for my family and loving on my daughter, sharing my gifts with my clients and colleagues, or interacting with strangers at the beach or the farm, I want to shine brightly with the joy I have in Christ. So with that ultimate goal in mind, I hope that 2014 gives me even more opportunities to love deeply, to serve others sacrificially, to give generously, to learn humbly, to create passionately.
Some goals and plans for 2014…
- Bake a loaf of bread from scratch
- Take a calligraphy class
- Go on a road trip
- Create unforgettable celebrations for my wedding clients, investing myself fully in each event
- Move my baby grand piano (currently living in my mom’s living room) and start playing again. Maybe teach Olive?
- Stay fit and active in new and challenging ways
- Plant a garden and enjoy the fresh produce all year long
- Read the Bible every day, start writing a prayer journal again (something I haven’t done in years)
- Launch an all-new Love & Splendor website (ummm can you say 5 years overdue??) and brand! (This is already in the works and I cannot even tell you how excited I am. Ohmygoodness gracious.)
- Simplify in the home: clear the clutter, purge the junk, streamline and organize and create a home and living environment that is refreshing and productive and inspiring.
- And much, much more…
I think today was a perfect start: we slept in, had homemade pizzas and salad for lunch, and I purged two file cabinet drawers. Now Olive is napping, I have a fresh pot of coffee and my favorite Pandora station on, and I’m ready to take down the Christmas decorations! Ready, set, go!
As we kick off this new year, a new adventure, I want to thank each of you for visiting this blog. I am grateful for all of you and love sharing my life here. Writing has always been one of my favorite creative endeavors and it is mind-boggling to think of the wonderful relationships I’ve made with people near & far who stumble across this blog. I enjoy each one of your comments and hope to connect with more of you in the year ahead. Wishing you a 2014 full of rich experiences and beautiful moments. Lots of love!