I had such a busy summer that I have fallen (extremely) behind on my Olive updates here on the blog. In fact, the last one was only up through June 12, 2014! In an effort to catch up, I’m going to share a longer Olive post here today. Hope you don’t mind. 😉 Here’s the latest up through October 31, 2014.
Olive is growing into such a kind-hearted, curious and silly little girl. She truly delights me everyday and I doubt I’ll ever “get over” the magic of her. Olive wakes up each morning in the very best mood. We hear her call out to us from her crib in a sing-song voice saying, “Maaaamaaaa! Daddyyyyyy!” When we crack the door open we see her standing up with a beaming smile on her face. “Good moh-ning! I missed you!!” she’ll say as we scoop her up. She is enthusiastic about the little things, like going to the park (again) or running an errand with me. She is talkative and opinionated, but tender and obedient. We were at the grocery store this week when we passed by a display stuffed animals. “Loooook, Mama! There’s a pony! Oh Mama I love the pony!” I reminded her that we had plenty of toys (including ponies) at home, and we weren’t going to be taking a new one home today. She placed the pony back on the shelf and skipped over to me. We do our best to raise Olive with a loving, patient heart but I have to say… this girl has something special. (Ugh, I’m such a mom, right??) I thank God everyday for this precious girl He entrusted to our care.
Here are some highlights from late summer through October…
- She spent lots of beach days with “Mimi Donna” from church. She loves digging in the sand, chasing the waves and climbing all over the beach playground.
- We continued to attend storytime at our local library, where Olive enjoys singing, reciting nursery rhymes, making crafts and of course, listening to stories.
- Our treasured friends Ryan & Cary visited us from Texas and we had a blast with them! Olive loves them so much and I love watching their special bond grow.
- Since Ryan was here, he graciously took photos of our family. We are in love with every single one of them; it is a blessing to be in front of his camera!
- We celebrated the 4th of July with a good ol’ fashioned church BBQ, followed by a failed attempt to view fireworks (living by the ocean = intense fog obscuring the beautiful display). We still had a great time!
- 3-4 days a week, we visit a local park to just run wild and free. Olive wants to climb every structure, ladder, and wall. She’s fearless but also quite agile.
- On our trips to Los Angeles, Olive and I make sure to grab lunch at Chick-Fil-A and visit the Santa Barbara Zoo. It’s a sweet little ritual that we’ve both come to love.
- We visited the California Mid-State Fair as a family. Olive loves visiting the livestock and watching the dazzling lights on the various carnival rides and booths. I love the smell of fair food in the air. 😉 Ahhh, nostalgia!
- Our organic garden produced a bounty of delicious vegetables including snap peas, green beans, cucumbers, kale, lettuces, and six types of heirloom tomatoes. Erik gets all the credit for the preparation and tending of the garden. With our over-producing cucumbers, we decided to make a bunch of pickles. Can’t wait to crack open the first jar in a week or so.
- For our 9-year wedding anniversary, we took a little roadtrip through California. We had stops in San Francisco, Berkeley, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth Lakes, and Yosemite. My sister and brother-in-law (Anna and Sean) were able to join us for the last leg of the trip and we had a wonderful time together. I love introducing Olive to some of our favorite places.
- We had an impromptu visit from my best friend Kristin, and her daughter, Siena. It was so great having her here for a night, and watching our girls play together.
- Per usual, we took apple season by storm and made it out to our favorite local orchard, Gopher Glen, on a near-weekly basis. As the apple crop winds down, we are still out there frequently, picking up late-season varieties and plenty of their incredible cider.
- Olive spent some quality time with both sets of grandparents during various trips to LA. It’s a blessing to have all of our family just a short drive away!
- We took Olive trick-or-treating and she had a blast! It started pouring rain when we were wrapping up, so we had to sprint to the car. We still got soaking wet. 🙂 It was a hilarious memory I know we won’t soon forget.
Our late-June through October 2014 photomosaic:
Our little Olive — I can’t believe how thoughtful, sensitive and witty you are; it takes me aback on a regular basis. You can read me like a book already, and when I’m low on energy or excitement you say, “Show me your smile face!!” It never fails to make me grin. You are fearless on the playground but you still hate getting dirty. Your favorite foods include all Asian cuisines (that’s my girl!), cheese, olives, peas, eggs and chocolate… of course. You are crazy about pirates (thanks to Jake and the Neverland Pirates) and use words like “Ahoy!” in your everyday speech. You love wearing skirts and dresses that let you twirl. You sing all.day.long (and actually can carry a tune quite well!). You’re into imaginative play and like to create scenes and interactions with your stuffed animals. Each has a personality, a voice, and certain mannerisms. It’s fascinating to watch! You are a puzzle-master and an avid builder of towers with your blocks. About once a day, you pretend to be a puppy for 5-10 minutes, barking instead of talking and panting excitedly. It’s hilarious and I kinda hope you don’t grow out of it anytime soon. Your puppy name is “Woofy.” 🙂 Your favorite activity these days is simply being in the kitchen with me, standing on a stool and helping mix and stir and put ingredients together for dinner or biscuits or a pot of coffee. I can’t wait for many more memories made in the kitchen, cooking side-by-side. You are the cutest sous-chef! We love you and all your brilliance, your quirks, your creativity, your affection and sweetness. You are a marvelous creature of our great God and it is pure joy being your Mama and Daddy. xoxo
Hope you’re all having a great start to your week! See you again soon. 🙂